NH e-Learning for Educators offers a course in online course design. While the focus of the course is on design for online, the best practices discussed can also be applied to hybrid courses designed for blended learning experiences. These ideas can also be useful for traditional classroom teachers who want to extend their classrooms into the online environment.
TE-02 Developing Effective Courses for Online and Blended Learning
The purpose of this course is to provide educators with the basic knowledge and skills necessary to design online and blended learning experiences for students. These skills are also important for those who want to expand or move their courses or content to the online environment Online learning is similar in many ways to traditional face to face learning, yet there are some important differences that must be recognized and understood before effective online content can be delivered. Throughout the course, you will explore elements of instructional design and best practices for the development of online learning experiences. You will explore several key elements of online learning that differentiate traditional and online instruction, such as discussion forums, Web 2.0 tools, and multimedia resources, As a final project, you will develop an online unit that you can use with your students in either an online or blended learning experience.
View the syllabus.
Here are some reasons to consider developing for OPEN NH:
- You'll become part of a NH network, providing quality online
professional development to NH teachers.
- You'll learn online course development techniques that will enhance your own
- You'll be able to develop courses that OPEN NH can deliver to educators throughout NH.
- There is graduate credit available for completing the developer training
- You are interested in online education and seek training in online course development.
- You are interested in creating high quality professional development opportunities for NH educators.
- You have expertise in a specific educational content area or discipline.
- You have previous experience with online courses, preferably through OPEN NH.
- You are experienced and comfortable using technology.
- You have the desire and ability to work on a team throughout the 10 week training course.
- You have the desire and ability to continue to work on your course after the training period has ended.
- You are interested in being part of an ongoing learning community that provides high quality online professional development to New Hampshire educators.